Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Day 22 (142)-February 22nd (Monday)

Instructor-Dale-4pm
Overall, this was a great class but have you ever started to feel a bit impatient with new students? Maybe not necessarily the students themselves, just when the instructor is having to explain the form to them and sometimes repeatedly?When I have a routine going in my practise, having to pause for a minute while the instructor is trying to help out the newbies can put me off a little. Sure, it's nice to get a break, especially during the standing series but I feel my adrenaline slow down and I am not as pumped. Perhaps it is patience I need to work on, keeping the discipline and focus while I wait to start the next posture, but it can become repetitive hearing the teacher explain the steps. Then again, we become so accustomed to hearing the steps, but in fact, do we ourselves really listen to the steps in order to strengthen our practise?
One example would be my standing bow, in the second set Dale was there with me every step of the way: head straight, arms and fingers stretched like your going to touch the mirror, body down, hips down, arch your body, BREATH, kick up, kick higher like your going to kick the ceiling. The perfect balance sometimes is having that voice guide you to places you never expected to go.

2 comments:

  1. "but in fact, do we ourselves really listen to the steps in order to strengthen our practise?" - very insightful question. It is so easy to neglect to pay attention to every single detail in the dialogue, but they are all there for a reason :) And yes - the teacher's voice can guide us to that perfect balance, to places we never expected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! I am with you. But for me it's when they have you partly in the setup for something and then stop to fix a newbie. You're holding the first part of the posture (like triangle or standing bow) and getting tired. :)

    ReplyDelete