Friday, February 5, 2010

Day 3 (123)-February 3rd (Wednesday)

Instructor- Candice-4pm
Ahhhh....back to my original guru..she knows I love her lol! I have a quote I think would be considered a theme for this class "concentrating on poses clears the mind, while focusing on breath helps the body shift out of fight-or-flight mode". Standing series gives me utter contentment and focus but the minute I shift to the floor series panic dwells..why is that? The great corpse pose, savasana, dead body, however you want to call it I get this hamster wheel spinning in my head and I feel the room getting smaller as if I'm trapped, such panic and frustration..for what? The sweet irony of savasana is this: when I am supposed to be at my most relaxed I feel the most tense and I believe this to be true: this is when the real yoga begins. I know I discuss the ups and downs of my breathing and anxiety quite a bit but the reality is it's probably the most important discussion of this hatha yoga and it always changes, it's never consistent. Candice also pointed out to me that I use my water bottle as a crutch, for those who don't take class with me I tend to put my water bottle up to my head to cool it off in the spine strengthening series when I get the fight-or-flight attack.
But you know what is great about the times when we do panic, we sometimes get a nudge from our yogi neighbor to the left or right or behind us (thank you Dianne) to not skip out on postures, to do even just 10%, to gain some benefit. The inspired yogi man I have mentioned in a couple blogs back wanted to bail on camel and so with support and encouragement (and some chanting) the class got him to join in-that was an AH HA moment (as Oprah would say) for me because it made me realize how much energy we really give each other and how much I received in return by just seeing him do the posture.

No comments:

Post a Comment