Saturday, January 16, 2010

Lets Talk about Postures shall we? Part 1-Standing Series

Since I have never really discussed the postures in detail I figure better late than never:
(however this is just my interpretation of the postures, everyone feel differently I'm sure)

*Praneama/Standing deep breathing-can make or break you right from the get-go, my shoulders get sore but it is called the life force for a reason, literally I gain energy and a profound sense of awareness.
*Half Moon Series- I love when instructors will tell the new students right after completing this series 'welcome to Bikram Yoga'- probably one of my favorites because I am always trying for new depths and I am still in amazement to this day that my body sweats what feels like the most in this set of postures.
*Awkward Series- I am usually up or down with this series, my knees can get sore, my legs get achy, I feel the blood coursing through my thighs "and bounce and bounce and bounce...and balance" and the whole time I am staring straight at my stomach trying to suck in and breath normally at the same.
*Eagle Pose-It took me a couple months to really figure out which arm goes under which, to get the routine. For a posture that appears to be simple is hardly the case, all about compression and sucking in that stomach!
*Standing head to knee- It took me roughly eight to nine months, that's right, months to finally kick my leg out. There is a fear of failure in all of us that if we cannot perfect, we will ultimately never succeed. This is not the case, when I finally let go that is when this posture took me on a new journey of self discovery. I fall out more than I succeed in this posture but now I laugh.
*Standing bow-It may be one of my strongest postures but I will tell you it is not one of my favorites because it demands focus, stamina, endurance, flexibility and well, at times, your very soul. Yet, this posture is one of the most beautiful to watch and I have had moments where my kick and my stretch have combined a perfect balance, it's just too bad I can't seem to hold it for one minute.
*Balancing stick- Oh such a love/hate relationship and apparently the posture we burn the most calories in and work the hardest and I believe it! The struggle I try to maintain is my head up and my arms stretched up and out, usually I get the "amber, leg down, leg down, hips down, leg down lol"
*Separate Leg Stretching- A posture I could not fully understand for the longest time until I got bits and pieces from instructors about putting my hands on my feet ( I was detrimental on keeping them at the sides of my feet), pushing my body forward and locking my knees. My shoulders are usually stubborn and until I finally relaxed I noticed that my neck actually stretched out and my forehead could touch the floor, what a concept!
*Triangle- Another hate/love relationship (notice the hate first?), it is frustrating, my hips don't go down far enough, my arms don't stretch out, suck my stomach in turn my head even though it feels like it wants to pop off, no pressure on the knee, no pressure on the floor. So in other words, I need to levitate from the hips up because it is a stretching posture, oh yeah and wipe the miserable look off your face lol.
*Standing separate head to knee- on my dizzy days, this posture is no fun but slowly and surely I have managed to keep my leg straight but the compression is definitely not fun and by this time I have sweat dripping into my eye, gotta love the sting! Another thing I try to remember is to not come up too fast.
*Tree/toe stand- for some reason I am more of a fan of the toe than the tree and it is also one of my other favorites because it demands control and patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment