Saturday, November 14, 2009

Day 14-November 14th (Saturday)

Instructor-Dale-4pm
Two weeks in and so far I am feeling strong with energy that surpasses my expectations. Dale once said to me "enjoy your journey because it is your own journey of discovery". When I have Dale's class, I think I discover my limitations and I push past them with endurance that I could never have imagined brimming inside of me. The room was quite humid and I was thankful when he finally shut off the humidifier but there was a roller coaster of energy flowing through all of the students tonight; sometimes up, sometimes down but when we were high, all of us soared as one. Even though Dale says "thank yourself, not me for your determination, discipline, energy", there is no doubt without his motivation and humour I could not have chosen to strive for strength in what may have been my best standing bow so far.
One particular student brought up an interesting concept tonight; he was asking Dale to physically help him perfect one of the postures and so Dale replied "I cannot help you unless a)you are a regular student and I know your postures well and b)it is a matter of perfecting the posture for yourself, not for the instructors, not for the other students, for you". I could relate to this students frustration when I first practised because I thought "OK, just show me how to do it and I will master it", and it's quite clear it is not a cut and dry approach, I still learn new tips and ways to understand the yoga and it will be a continuation in my journey. And that is one of the huge reasons why I love Bikram yoga because I learn something new everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment