Monday, November 2, 2009

Let me tell you about Bikram Yoga for me.....


I have dealt with anger, health and weight issues for most of my twenties and no matter what I tried; be it therapy, swimming, running, meditation, writing, alternative medicines and the good ol' fashioned gym I could never relieve the stress that accumulated over such a period of time. I was always looking for a challenge that was mentally and physically demanding but spiritually enlightening as well. As much as I dabbled in certain workouts, yoga was never on the top of my list to join because I never believed that it could provide the challenge I was looking for. When I thought of yoga, I imagined stretching into obscure postures and I believed I was too old to "start from scratch again". So here I was, in the summer of 2008 trying to challenge my repetitions at the gym, swimming lap upon lap and basically going nowhere in the hopes of breaking that cycle of stress and anger.
Then a revolution in my life occurred, I met a man who opened my eyes and ears to the world of Bikram Yoga. I had asked him how could I possibly be challenged in yoga? He gave me one of his sinister grins and replied "find a studio near you, check it out. I guarantee you it is the challenge your looking for". I was skeptical but I went out and bought a mat and oddly enough ( I like to call it fate) I drove past 88th avenue like I have thousands of times and the letters stuck out so vividly for the first time: Bikram Yoga.
My first class was tough: I went in the evening on a Friday and had my first and only class with Mak who sounded to me like a drill Sergeant but I realized later it was motivation. The heat overwhelmed me so much that I was lucky I made it through half the postures but the moment the class was over and I left the hot room to walk out onto the balcony for cool air my mind was made up. This is what I had been waiting for so long for; my blood coursed through thunderously and my skin felt tight but my mind felt clear. This is the challenge I had been waiting my life up to this point for and I would not trade it for anything else in the world.
It has now been over a year and I have felt and seen changes in my body, mind and spirit that could not been anything short of miraculous. And the most important aspect for me through this amazing journey so far has been the students and instructors who have motivated and pushed and inspired me to continue this journey. Not enough thank yous could ever be said for having faith in me so thank you all:)
Last, but certainly not least, I would like to thank you Grant, for opening my eyes and my heart to a world I could not possibly have imagined otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment